Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More Emailing

The head of my thesis committee is really, really great, and I think my conversation with him yesterday is narrowing my direction a little bit more. His insight was that, when investigating oppression, it's easiest to find if you look for the ways in which people fight back. I thought that was really interesting; it made me think (at his suggestion) about the DJ collectives through which I've found the women that I'd contacted. So, I went to the library and checked out a couple of books (including "You Better Work!": Underground Dance Music in New York City), read for the rest of the afternoon, and started hunting around some more when the lights went on.

What I realized in the shower this morning (which is, for some reason, where I always have epiphanies) is that I'd only actually Googled "women DJs." Not "lady DJs" or "girl DJs" or any of the other synonyms for women that exist. So I did that tonight, and came up with a bunch of hits, including a boot camp in Philadelphia for women who want to learn to DJ.

I haven't heard back from anyone since this last batch of emails, but I've got my fingers crossed. We'll see what happens in the next week.

No comments: